Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Introduction

Hello, friends

This attempt to blog will include information, rumination, analysis and pomposity on the general topic of system reform for California's community-based system of support to people with developmental disabilities. Included will be links to useful websites on the topic, reviews of literature and proposals and proposals of proposals. I have no doubt that this will be as stimulating to everyone as it is to me. My goal will be to include an update not less than weekly.

My perspective on this topic is based on who I am and which airs I put on. I am the director of an Independent Living Skills agency. I am the uncle of a beautiful 4-year-old with disabilities. I am a reformer, may God have mercy on me.
MILLENNIUM, n. The period of a thousand years when the lid is to be screwed down, with all reformers on the under side. -Ambrose Bierce

My basic assumptions about this system are:

1. All people have the rights enumerated in our constitution including personal sovereignty which is not waived by receiving public benefits. Californians with disabilities are rightly entitled by law to support based on their personal challenges which does not interfere with their aspirations.
2. All people should expect their taxes to be handled dearly, used efficiently and to serve only ends endorsed through the constitutional process of government. Healthy systems are cost-effective and cost-effective systems are healthy, and no system without deliberate and rational accountability is healthy or cost-effective.
3. All state-funded systems ever and California's system of community-based support for people with developmental disabilities, especially, have plenty of opportunity to improve regarding the first two assumptions.

OK, so, let's see how this goes.

1 comment:

Doug The Una said...

Sedonasmile,

First of all, thank you for reading and commenting. I hope you will continue to read and comment. Obviously, I agree that the system is in trouble, that if it isn't in trouble it sure is underperforming and that a lack of accountability is a key problem. I don't know of the kickbacks you refer to, but admit I haven't seen everything yet. If you would like my assistance bringing some of these issues forward, please feel welcome to email me directly (there's a link if you click on my profile in the upper right corner of the site.)

Doug